The idea for this post stemmed from a video I watched on YouTube a while ago – the idea that some of us out there are more interested in what is known as “big talk” rather than “small talk”. This is the concept of approaching someone and asking them deeper questions which revolve around us and our existence or the personal experiences of someone else, rather than the everyday questions of “how are you?”
This is something that I’ve contemplated for a while, being someone who finds the overused conversation of “hi, how are you?”, “yeah I’m good, how are you?”, “I’m good too, thanks” really irritating. I find that if you don’t know the person well enough, then the likelihood of you actually opening up to the question to give a meaningful answer is very low, so what is the point in asking it?
The woman in this video puts together a selection of clips where she asks strangers deeper questions and I love the idea of this. It gets people to actually dig their brain for a suitable answer and think beyond the realms of everyday thinking which is a lot more beneficial than replying by reflex. So I thought, why not bring the same to the blogging world?
I will ask an array of questions below that are considered “big talk” and it would be great if you could pick one (or as many as you like) to answer in the comments and we can have a discussion! Similarly, if you have a question you’d like to share, feel free to share it too as I’d love to answer 🙂
- Do you believe in life after death? How would you want to live on in the afterlife? How do you think you’ll live on?
- Do you think there is an alternate reality and if so, how does it correspond to this world?
- Do you believe in soulmates or having more than one?
- Is anything in this world real?
- Is evil born within someone or does it grow with age?
- Does true freewill exist?
- What is considered art?
- Does complete happiness exist or is it just an unobtainable concept?
- Is there ever a right or wrong? Is anything really objective?
- Can we really believe anything anyone says when we have only experienced our own conscious reality?
You can now read my answers to these questions here.